Saturday, January 04, 2014

Hope Is Never Lost

In hopes of reviving my own hopes, I am writing this post about hope never being lost.
I thought of this phrase after wondering how to get rid of the "giving up" feeling I have been having lately. This is not just the passing, "Oh it's no use..." statement that we sometimes give when we are going about our day sometimes, as a figure of speech or a tiny giving up, but this is  a feeling of really believing that it is no use to even try to do much at all. Just now as I was writing that, though, the phrase "gird up your loins, fresh courage take, our God will never us forsake" came into my mind. Earlier when I was having the utter giving up feelings, I thought about the remedies that might be out there for this negative emotion and so I was thinking of the opposite - hope - the belief that your good efforts WILL pay off some day, hopefully in the not-so-distant future. Then the voice of Jeffery R Holland came into my mind. "Hope is never lost!" He gave a great talk  last conference about how to make it through a mental illness - mainly deep depression. It was a beautiful talk and I am glad that those words came into my head because the feeling I got from the Holy Ghost entered my heart when I thought of those words. I am especially glad that I blogged about them just now, because I needed to hear the other words too about girding up my loins!
Be of good cheer. (John 16:33 http://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/john/16?lang=eng)
Be strong and of a good courage! (Joshua 1:6 http://www.lds.org/scriptures/ot/josh/1?lang=eng)
Come unto me all ye  who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28 http://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/matt/11?lang=eng)

God bless you, help you, and keep you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I bet that thought, gird up your loins, came from one of your ancestors. I have been guided along and helped multiple times by ancestors. I know it. Just this past week, I was not getting enough sleep with my new baby, as usual and I prayed for someone to watch over the baby, who was crying in the crib, just after I had lain him there. He started squeezing and laughing, and I knew someone was playing with him. Everyone in the house was asleep. I know my baby is being entertained by angels a lot, and I am so grateful to them!